Snagged a sweet little 720

inzel

Just picked this thing up. 104k. Interior near perfect. Nice body with a tab bit of rust on the bed. Blown head gasket. Dude said he bought it from Grandma and drove it for a few weeks. Changed the oil and the gasket blue shortly after that. Starts up and runs but blows white smoke after it warms up. 

I still have my other 720 with a ton of new parts which I havent put on it yet (headers, 38/38, etc etc) Im thinking that I will repair the gasket on this one and just get the head machined at the same time. Put my cam, headers, and carb on this one. Then pull the motor and tranny (and all the other parts I want off it) out of my other one, throw it on the engine stand and rebuild it from top to bottom.

Couple outside pics. Ill grab more in a day or two.

720-1.JPG

720-2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$500... couldnt pass it up. Here are a couple more pics

720-3.JPG

720-4.JPG

720-5.JPG

720-6.JPG

720-7.JPG

I have searched through the forums and found a couple good write-ups on replacing the head gasket but if anyone has any thoughts they would like to throw in on that subject... please do so. All is appreciated.

Also... doing a 5-spd swap when it gets a bit warmer out.

• Like 1

Head gasket swaps are pretty much straight forward on these, just be sure that the block deck and head surface are perfectly clean and not warped, check it really good with a straight edge and a feeler gauge for warpage, and if suspected or if anything mearures .004" or more, have the surfaces milled flat, otherwise, it's a straight forward and easy install.