1976 datsun 280z heater core

joshotto94

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it this past weekend on my 260z.  First, remove the entire interior, dash, and blower.  Then it's still a pain in the ass!  :P

IMAG1414_zps14334362.jpg

Hopefully some others will provide wisdom.  But seriously, even with all this stuff out of the way, trying to remove corroded heater valve, crusty hoses, rusty control cables, and corroded hose clamps was a serious pain.  Messy too - coolant in the core leaks even with no radiator in the car.  Awkward fit for tall guys - try lying on your back under the dash with a headlight?

You got a manual?  260Z says remove the glove box and blower for access.

A couple points: I found it easier to remove both the heater valve and firewall tubes as an assembly, cut the hoses to the heater core, since I planned to replace.  I think manual suggests leaving tubes and pulling valve/core together.  Once those are out of the way, core is right there.  Also - the brass tube fittings on the core and valve are fragile/soft.  You can squish them easy if you are fighting hoses with pliers.

280Z is different, I believe.  But a helpful AutoZone guy found a good-enough match for the complex 260Z molded hose - I could look up the part if anyone's interested.  Cheaper than Nissan or a repro.