910 Bluebird headlight problem

oz910s2

Hi guys,

I have a series 2 910 bluebird and the headlights have stopped working.

I replaced both bulbs and replaced the fuse even though it looked fine.

Where is the headlight relay? Is it one of the 2 relays on top of the fuse holder under the dash? And if so, which of the two?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I can't see the relay failing so that it is between headlights. The relay, at rest has to be either hi or low beams. I would think that if it failed it would be stuck on one of these or the other.

I'm thinking that the power for them is out. This would be a fusible link out by the battery. A test lamp or meter should show if there is power even getting to the relay.

On our 720s (all I got) fuse boxes the headlamp relay is the one above the fuse box closest the front of the vehicle. Power is from the fusible link on a RED wire. Sorry, not much help.

no, thank you for replying, it definitely is a help, your reasoning for not believing it's the relay makes perfect sense. I was trying to work it out via process of elimination so just went to the next link in the chain.

I have a relocated battery with a fuse close to the battery and another one in the fuse box so I've checked both of those.

I'm not sure what you mean by relay closest to the front of the car as both of them in the australian version are sitting side by side parrellel to the dash so it's either left or right.

I have had some luck perhaps on another forum where I was advised the switch itself is a well known point of failure and usually cleaning the contacts is all it needs to fix it. I'll try that  tomorrow

Hmmm. I can't see the relay failing so that it is between headlights. The relay, at rest has to be either hi or low beams. I would think that if it failed it would be stuck on one of these or the other.

I'm thinking that the power for them is out. This would be a fusible link out by the battery. A test lamp or meter should show if there is power even getting to the relay.

On our 720s (all I got) fuse boxes the headlamp relay is the one above the fuse box closest the front of the vehicle. Power is from the fusible link on a RED wire. Sorry, not much help.

I have had some luck perhaps on another forum where I was advised the switch itself is a well known point of failure and usually cleaning the contacts is all it needs to fix it. I'll try that  tomorrow

Battery to fusible link to the lighting switch which sends power (when ON) to the fuse box to two fuses. One fuse for each side. If one blows you still have a hi and low beam on the other side.

To me this sounds like it could be a possible grounding issue. I would try to check the grounding wires for the headlight circuit.

Welcome to Ratsun.

The Nissan hi and low beams are powered at all times the headlight switch is ON. The head light relay grounds either hi or low to light them. Find the relay and the Black wire is the ground.