Having starter issues on my Z24

HardbodyNaps

So I have a Z24 motor in which I am running an 89 240sx clutch, flywheel and pressure plate. I have tryed several starters to include frontiers, ka24, as well as the stock starters. n it seems that when bolted up and as it's cranking , it sounds like the bendix extends out and it is barely grabbing the flywheel and maken a real nasty sound .. Can anyone PLEASE HELP me and give me some tips on what I should check or what is the compatible starter for the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate in the Z24 napz motor.. Thank you very much in advance..

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All automatics have a small cover plate clipped over the end of the crankshaft. It helps aligh the torque converter before it is bolted to the flex plate. This cover, or spacer MUST be removed before putting a standard transmission flywheel onto the crank.

This is a Z series motor with the auto trans cover plate still on the crank.

motorZ24crankauto-1.jpeg

This is a standard transmission motor without the automatic cover plate...

motorZ24crankstandard-1.jpeg

The auto flex plate is sandwiched between the top two plates shown below.

transautodriveplatespacer.jpg

Could that plate be the reason the starter isn't engaging the flywheel correctly?! I should of said this earlier but I pulled the whole swap out of my 720 in which everything cranked and engaged correctly without issue.. Utilizing the same exact starter on the same exact motor that I swapped into my D21, I am now encountering this issue.. The starter that is being used is a gear reduction direct drive starter out of the 720 4x4 from the wrecking yard..

Yes those things.. And yes they are, I mated the transmission to the motor before I dropped it in to ensure they were tight.. Do u think the flywheel could be bent? The flywheel clutch and pressure plate were all brand new and made by XTD.. But after encountering this issue since the swap I can see the starters are starting to scuff up the flywheel a bit..

Well it that motor was an automatic and if that auto trans cover plate was on the end of the crank it would space the flywheel to the rear by1/8" at least..... that is if you can even get the flywheel on over it.

It would be a shame to rip it all out to find everything is fine and it's just a bad starter.

Yes I totally agree and that's the reason I've been installing different starters all of which are brand new, to try and eliminate some of the issues but cannot come to a conclusion.. So I might just have to tare it down.. Is there any special tools needed to remove the automatic flex plate if it is there?!