91 2wd d21 2.4 swap in 1984 720 4x4

offroadredneck84

hey guys im new to the forum and im really seeking help. I bought a 1984 Nissan 720 4x4 for a woods toy that was originally a 2.4 dual spark. the guy told me it blew up and that they had swapped a 91 d21 2wd 2.4 dual spark in it. I cannot get it to start and im not good with efi vehicles. They are not anywhere near being a average mechanic. so can someone please tell me what all should be swapped in

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well your '84 720 Z24 should have a carburetor on it.

The D-21 only had the 8 spark plug Z24i (throttle body EFI) until '89. So if it was an earlier Z24i all they would have to do is remove the intake and EFI throttle body and swap your intake and carb onto it. Basically only the block and head needs be swapped.  Use your intake and carb.

Can you post a picture of the motor with the air filter off? 

I believe it may be carbed by looking at a stock carb for the 84 z24. my true problem is there is a box on the left side on the fenderwell that is wired in with the coils and has a big wire that goes to the distributor they had cut the wires and me and my dad are used to old school vehicles so we cant figure out how they go.

The D-21 uses a crank angle sensor in place of a distributor. You need to remove the oil pump and drop the drive spindle out and put your spindle in and your '84 distributor in. The D21 drive spindle is different. Replace it and your distributor and coils will work.

Be sure to set the motor at TDC so you know when you get the distributor in correctly.

• 3 weeks later...