L20 to a 280zx 5 speed questions

larry henderson

Hello: I am attempting to install an L20 into a 1969 datsun roadster and am using a rebuilt 280zx 5 speed transmission. My question involves what clutch pressure plate should I use? The old clutch is a 225mm . Will a clutch set for an L20 work with the new trans or should I use a clutch set designed for the 280 transmission? Thanks for any info.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I am attempting to install an L20 into a 1969 datsun roadster and am using a rebuilt 280zx 5 speed transmission. My question involves what clutch pressure plate should I use? The old clutch is a 225mm . Will a clutch set for an L20 work with the new trans or should I use a clutch set designed for the 280 transmission? Thanks for any info.

The transmission is completely separate from the clutch. It doesn't know or care what size or type you use. You could run a 200mm, a 225mm or even a 240mm clutch and it wouldn't know the difference. 

The clutch size depends on the flywheel bolt patterns. If you have a 225mm clutch, then I presume it's on a flywheel and you are good to go. There are various 225mm clutch and pressure plates for different years and applications. Which ever 225mm pressure plate you go with, the release bearing collar has to be matched to IT and has nothing to do with the transmission behind it. Try to get a clutch and pressure plate that also includes the proper size release bearing collar with it.