Elusive E1 Engine Internals...

Swedishcadillac

I'm trying to locate an engine rebuild kit for my 1965 E1 1189cc motor. If anyone can steer me towards a complete kit, I would be happy. I'm finding random parts and pieces on Ebay. But prefer a whole kit. I have located J-series rebuild kits. Does anyone know if the majority of parts are interchangeable. Gaskets, bearings, pistons, etc. I've done a lot of searching, thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of parts interchange between the J13 and E1.  Main difference is stroke- bore is identical, and I believe the pistons are identical or at least the same size (both are flattop).  There's also differences in the oil filter assembly, so those gaskets are different, but main things like head and manifold gaskets are the same.   Rods are different, but the bearings I believe are the same.

If you're looking for a "complete kit" I think you'll be looking forever.  What can be found are complete gasket sets, but you still have to get the bearings, pistons, and timing chain separate.  That's pretty much the case with any Datsun engine.  What "kits" you find are simply someone gathering all those separate items together then marking the price up 150%.

• Like 1

One thing I forgot- the reason you don't find "kits" is because you never know what over/undersize parts you need.  An engine might have .030 oversize bores, .010 rod bearings, but still use STD main bearings.  So that's why those parts are generally sold separately.  Heck, in some engines I work on, it's not uncommon to have a mix of STD, .010, .020 pistons all in the same engine (of course in a 5.5" bore, .020 isn't much).