MSA BRE Style Spoiler...Leaking?

Indey

Hey guys, I picked up a BRE style spoiler from MSA, and everytime I wash the car it gets water in it, to water eventually drains....mostly....and when it does it's all full of fiberglass resin, that gets on the body of the car. Has anyone else had this issue with an MSA spoiler? Or just any BRE style wing in general?

I'm thinking about drilling small drain holes at the ends of the wing to allow the water to drain out, and hopefully it wouldn't allow it to pool at all, to become resin water.

However if anyone else has had this issue, what did you guys do? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I picked up a BRE style spoiler from MSA, and everytime I wash the car it gets water in it, to water eventually drains....mostly....and when it does it's all full of fiberglass resin, that gets on the body of the car. Has anyone else had this issue with an MSA spoiler? Or just any BRE style wing in general?

I'm thinking about drilling small drain holes at the ends of the wing to allow the water to drain out, and hopefully it wouldn't allow it to pool at all, to become resin water.

However if anyone else has had this issue, what did you guys do? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

why not plug all the holes instead? 

Well, when I noticed it was full of water, I removed it from the car, and was irritated to find that it had started to rust the bolts that held it in place.

I drained as much of the water as I could, and THOUGHT that I got all of it, apparently I missed some, as you can still see it in the tips of the wing.

Regardless, I covered the center unused hole with electrical tape, then gorilla tape on top of that. It's not a permanent solution, but I was hoping to stop it from allowing more water in for the time being.

I also found some rubber washers, and dipped the ends of the bolts in Vaseline to try and "seal up" the area where it bolted to the car.

My only issue is, I don't know if fiberglass needs to "breathe" like some materials do, to stay intact, and that's why the central hole is there.

I also need to get the remaining resin water out of the wing tips. Hence why I was considering drilling a small weep hole at the lowest point on the tips. I was thinking if water DID get in at that point it wouldn't have time to soak the resin and take some of it and spill it all over my car.