Did I get the wrong weber for me 510?

Datsunrider71

Remove the brass jet, separate the jet tip from the part that threads into the carb body, put the jet tip onto the idle cut-off switch, screw idle cut-off switch into carb body. Run a keyed hot wire to the switch.  There should be a keyed hot wire somewhere close on the fire wall.

Just in case:

"Keyed" =  when you turn the key "on", it gets power.  When you turn the ignition "off", it looses power.

WEB226800005c2.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you have a port in the air cleaner for the valve cover vent... Do you have a second one for the fuel vapor tube that runs to the fuel vapor valve on the driver's strut tower?

This is how I ran mine:

015-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-2.jpg

Other than that, I think you'll be good.....  Keep us updated!

That top hose needs to go to the air cleaner for "fresh air".

The white vent tube in the air cleaner needs to run to your valve cover.

If you want, you can drill this port and thread it for a hose barb to run the fuel vapor hose to, but it's easier to drill the air cleaner and put a hose barb there.

016-1.jpg

That top hose needs to go to the air cleaner for "fresh air".

The white vent tube in the air cleaner needs to run to your valve cover.

If you want, you can drill this port and thread it for a hose barb to run the fuel vapor hose to, but it's easier to drill the air cleaner and put a hose barb there.

016-1.jpg

Top hose goes where

And Where does that line going to the Distributor I don't see only holes the only thing I saw was a Metal line coming from the carb to the dizzy

Yeah, it's the metal line.  I'd suggest cleanly cutting the metal line about 1.5" from the distributor and hooking a hose from that to the Weber.

• Like 1

You will also need to either extend the linkgage rod by cutting it and splicing in a section then welding it back up, or space the bracket at the firewall out about 3/4". If you don't do either one of these, the carb linkage may pop out of the bracket at the firewall.

Also, you don't need a fuel pressure regulator if you're running a stock mechanical fuel pump. I actually wouldn't run one unless it's the Holley type.

Another thing to consider is having your distributor recurved. Once that is done, you won't need to run the vacuum advance.

"You will also need to either extend the linkgage rod by cutting it and splicing in a section then welding it back up, or space the bracket at the firewall out about 3/4". If you don't do either    one of these, the carb linkage may pop out of the bracket at the firewall."

I have a suspicion you will be fine with the linkage you have... That said I have seen at least 3 variation on the stock linkage from the factory...

" Also, you don't need a fuel pressure regulator if you're running a stock mechanical fuel pump. I actually wouldn't run one unless it's the Holley type."

As I said, there is a great debate on here about fuel pressure regulators with these carbs... 

You will also need to either extend the linkgage rod by cutting it and splicing in a section then welding it back up, or space the bracket at the firewall out about 3/4". If you don't do either one of these, the carb linkage may pop out of the bracket at the firewall.

Also, you don't need a fuel pressure regulator if you're running a stock mechanical fuel pump. I actually wouldn't run one unless it's the Holley type.

Another thing to consider is having your distributor recurved. Once that is done, you won't need to run the vacuum advance.

What do you mean Recurved

"You will also need to either extend the linkgage rod by cutting it and splicing in a section then welding it back up, or space the bracket at the firewall out about 3/4". If you don't do either one of these, the carb linkage may pop out of the bracket at the firewall."

I have a suspicion you will be fine with the linkage you have... That said I have seen at least 3 variation on the stock linkage from the factory...

" Also, you don't need a fuel pressure regulator if you're running a stock mechanical fuel pump. I actually wouldn't run one unless it's the Holley type."

As I said, there is a great debate on here about fuel pressure regulators with these carbs...

I'm still going to do it bro I got you

"You will also need to either extend the linkgage rod by cutting it and splicing in a section then welding it back up, or space the bracket at the firewall out about 3/4". If you don't do either    one of these, the carb linkage may pop out of the bracket at the firewall."

Years of experience without the regulator has proven that you don't NEED to run one. Every street driven 510 I've ever owned plus the ITC racers we used to run (25 on the track at any given race) has run a DGV with the stock mechanical pump and no regulator and never once has the needle and seat stuck open because of too much pressure.

Also, the same experience has taught me to modify the linkage. I have had them pop out many times. When you're leading a race and it happens to you you will kind of never forget.

• Like 2

Years of experience without the regulator has proven that you don't NEED to run one. Every street driven 510 I've ever owned plus the ITC racers we used to run (25 on the track at any given race) has run a DGV with the stock mechanical pump and no regulator and never once has the needle and seat stuck open because of too much pressure.

Also, the same experience has taught me to modify the linkage. I have had them pop out many times. When you're leading a race and it happens to you you will kind of never forget.

Damn I would of been pissed I Imagine how you felt

What do you mean Recurved

Recurving a distributor is when you adjust the "when" and "how much" of the mechanical advance inside the distributor.

If performance is what you're after, a timing curve that does not rely on vacuum advance allows you to safely run more timing and thus gain more horsepower. If economy is your game, then you could still benefit from adjusting the mechanical curve, but leave the vacuum hose hooked up and operational.

To recurve a distributor you usually swap in a SSS distributor cam (available from Nissan Motorsports) and adjust the spring tension by removing one spring or replacing them with aftermarket springs, or simply by bending the tab that the spring is attached to. It takes experience to know what to do and look for so I wouldn't try to do this yourself. At least not the first time around.

• Like 1