z22 clutch

hopper

i need a new clutch. I have a 81 z22 engine and a 83 z24 trans, plan on using a z24 clutch. any suggestions? i have found exedy, sachs, f1, and kupp kits that i like. any do's or dont's with any of these brands? act and clutchmaster are out of my price range. the truck is stock except for weber carb. thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The clutch and pressure plate 'size' is determined by the flywheel you have on your motor. Typically Nissan has a 200mm for most cars, 225mm for trucks Z cars and Maxima and 240mm for later Z24 powered trucks and Z cars.

200/225 and 240mm is the diameter across the friction face of the pressure plate and clutch disc and the bolt pattern on the flywheel face reflects this. A 225mm clutch will only fit on a 225mm flywheel.

Your '81 Z22 came with a 225mm clutch so in order to move up to the 240mm clutch and PP you will need a Z24 flywheel. If you can find one, the 240mm clutch disc is #30100-P9201 about $90 and the matching pressure plate # is 30210-10W00 about $120. Yes you can get them cheaper but this is the original Nissan part with all the quality and proper clamping force.

Otherwise get the stock Z22 225mm part 30100-N4288 ($50) disc and 30210-Y0100 PP  ($130)

The collar or sleeve that the bearing is pressed onto is a different length (than the Z22) to reflect the different height of the pressure plate diaphragm fingers used on the larger Z24 PP. The 240mm sleeve is 30501-K0401. The Z22 sleeve is longer and the pressure plate will not fully engage with the clutch pedal in the up position and may wear the bearing out or the diaphragm fingers because of constant contact.

Release bearing.............. 30502-21000 This will ft 99.9% of all '60 to 04 Nissans.

Pilot bushing................... 32202-B9500 This will ft 99.9% of all L, Z, KA, SD and VG motors