sr20det starting problems

datsundan

i just put an sr20det in my 72 510 and replace my battery because it was bad and my car kept not starting. so i put the new battery in last night and today the car started fine then when i went to start it to leave for lunch just some clicks coming from the starter??!! i just put a brand new battery in!!! do you think this could be a short issue or quite possibly the ignition where my key goes in cause when the ignition was on it cut out after about 7 seconds and then i just wiggled the key to the left a little bit and then my fuel pump and stuff kicked back in. what do you think it could be??

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you need to start with the proven bad part and replace the ignition switch.

It also sounds like you have a drain on the battery somewhere, and it could easily be the ignition switch. Do you know how to do a battery drain test?

Do you own a test light? You own a Datsun, you will need a test light sooner or later.

Jason

I've been having the same sort of problems with my FJ. Sometimes it would start, most times it would turn over very slowly or rarely, just give some clicks. My fuel pump was doing the same thing as yours, where it would shut off while cranking. Most of the time the engine would fire after trying about 10 times. Other times, the engine would light right off.

Possible problems?

Well, I know it wasn't the battery since the car would fire normally after multiple attempts, with no slowing of the starter motor during that time.

I did have an alarm installed, and the installer hacked the heck out of my wiring harness. Some of the connections were loose, but even after repair, it didn't solve the problem.

I thought it might be the ignition switch, because I'd wiggle the key and sometimes that made a difference. Sound familiar?

I got the old fluke meter out, after cleaning all terminals on the battery and the solenoid pole, and started troubleshooting. Voltage was good in the "on" position. Checked the voltage on the hot wire going to the solenoid in the "start" position, also good. Since I had the same voltage to the "start wire" each time I tested it, that eliminated the ignition switch... as well as possible poor connections. That only left the....

Had a spare starter, replaced it, all was good. Haven't had a problem since. Apparently the bad starter was drawing enough power that the fuel pump didn't have enough energy to run. :eek:

Sorry for the long post.

I'm FJDatto, and I approve of this message. :P