engine starts strange

dave71

had the L16 in my 521 starting up really nice with ei distributor.. now it cranks but doesn't fire until you let go of the key and it fires up.... well i have to pump the gas till it warms up cause it has elec choke and i never hooked up... Has anyone had this prob. and how do i remeedy this?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

theres a Hot start wire.

12volts in KEY start.  find this wire. and make sure it s hooked up right.  maybe connection loose an back of key switch.

you never said if you still have the org coil and ballast in there is not ck wire there.

so it will depend on the wiring.  if you just have a EI coil or the stock set up still installed,ex  stock coil and ballast

OK if you got rid of ballast and have a EI coil

I believe the blk red wire is the START wire.

put this wire(BLK/RED) with the BLK/WHT wire at the + coil. so youll have 12volts right when the starter is loading the system down.

Most time People sya the BLK/WHT is good enough.

the BLK/RED shold have 12volt with Key in START. What I do is disconnect the starter wire and start probing. Ck the drawing if it goes thru the fust box or not.

well i ck'd for loose connections and nothing..tried to start it and same thing acted like an old prop plane get it to spine fast let go and hope it fires up..then i saw the blk/red and  put it on the + post of the coil and waa laa bitch fired up like she's suppose to lol..appreciate the help banzai