The sins of the father...s truck

qn8YEfI.jpg

Here's my Truck.  My dad bought this thing in the early 90's and has proceeded to beat the shit out of it for 100k plus miles (200k+ on the odometer).  Its been through numerous motors, has previously been converted to FI and back to carb, has all of the accessories relocated (including the Chevy alternator thats in it), 2wd rear end in it currently.  He put a fresh rebuilt Z24 in it, then proceeded to blow the head gasket 20k later, rebuilt it and there it sat for 5 years, until I opened my big mouth about wanting a truck.  Now its my problem.

So far, I have replaced the thermostat, and plugs.  Put the correct distributor in it  so it would stop missing so bad, added a couple new beefy ground wires to eliminate some grounding issues, and I just picked up a carb kit tonight to tackle the rebuild on the Hitachi POS so it will last until I can pick up a weber in a month or two.  

TO DO LIST:

New bed, probably 85 or 86. 

Locate Roll/Light Bar

Correct 4.11 rear so I can use the 4wd!

Remove the add-a-leaf or use a new spring, as this one is set up for carrying serious weight and rides like a brick.

Remove the cab to fix some soft spots around the Frame mounts

Longer Control arms so I can actually align the thing

Re-Index the torsion bars

It already has a body lift, but the bed is welded to the lift block, so I will be replacing the whole kit when I replace the bed.

Normal maintenance like brakes, front end wear parts, bushings, etc.

Weber carb

Cam

It already has a Pacesetter Header, so I will just finish it up with 2.5" into a Flowmaster 40 series.

Second Battery to run accessories,

New interior (black)

New body parts (bumpers, grills, etc) as necessary

and finish it off with 31's and a fresh coat of factory orange paint.

My main goal for this truck is to restore it and use it for camping and mobbing through the sand dunes.  If everything goes according to plan (yeah right)  I will be travelling for work for a few months at a time with a few months off in between.  I'm hoping to be able to order all of the new parts that I need  while I am travelling (my wife is going to love that one) and then collect all of the junkyard pieces after I get home.  After gathering everything up, I should be able to pull it apart over the winter and I'm hoping to have the whole truck rebuilt and ready to rock by next spring (it will probably only be wearing primer at that point, but if I can drive it I'll be super happy).  

Sorry for the wall of text.  I'll try to take pictures and chronicle my saga if there is any interest in it.

If any of you guys are in Oregon, I'd love to meet up and talk 720's, maybe you could point me to a spot with a nice stash of parts.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun  B)

The one thing you need to keep in mind is that the 85/86 bed taillights are different than all the years before, the brake light and turn signal are one in the same, while everything earlier, the turn signals are separate from the brake lights, to use the 85/86 taillights, you will have to use a trailer converter in your 84 and earlier wiring harness to combine them circuits.

I have never really checked to see if 84 taillights will fit in the 85/86 bed corners, if they do, NEVER MIND.  :lol:

Thanks!  That is something I hadn't thought about, but doesn't seem like too big of a hurdle.  I wouldn't mind throwing on the 84 style bed, but I fear finding one in the condition that I want will be pretty hard in the pacific northwest.

You just have to comb craigslist, any kingcab box will fit, 1980-86 kingcab boxes are all the same when it comes to bolting on.

The trouble can be that some think they are selling gold plated boxes or something, and the wrecking yards are also expensive.

What exactly is wrong with your box?

The front of the bed (closest to the cab) is pushed forward a bit and completely rusted through on the bottom, there is rust through the weld seam down both sides,  I think it would just cost too much to try and save the bed, and I don't think I'm going to find one in much better condition in the Oregon/Washington area.

yeah, 82 long beds dont come often, lol (only part I wont get rid of off my trucks) if you end up needing any black interior parts lemme know :) I have an almost complete spare black interior... I have 2 83-84's in my bone yard... montana is a ways from you though :(

• 4 weeks later...