so i got this L4N71B....

out of my 910/maxima last night

so for those that have never removed this tranny from THE ONLY CAR IT CAME IN, the maxima. heres whats so great about this. I went out ant bought a driveshaft, clutch pedal, and tranny in great shape for around 220 for all of it from the junkyard, got it home and removed the transmission. come to find out, when you went with the automatic maxima in 1983/84, you lost 3 inches of floor space on each side of the transmission. the trans tunnel is wider by about 6 total inches, 3 on eash side, the mount is also in a totally different spot.

long story short, I can pretty well tell than nissan probably lost money on this car, just because of the auto trans. they had to modify the whole tunnel in production and put a different trans  mount location, the chassis for an auto and manual arent even the same in that area remotely. the manual tranny tunnel is tiny and the mount is tiny as well, mounting my 5 speed, which came out of a maxima is going to be a pain as the transmisssion crosmember is going to have to be fabricated.

it will still be only 50-100  bucks more to go to 5 speed, than it would have for a new driveshaft for the auto.

so what should I do with this L4N71B that came out, its about 190k miles on it, it still runs really well, im almost a little sad to have taken it out. the shifting in it was pretty smooth, OD works, everything with the trannny is great. I just dont think theres too many takers on it down here...

3EADFD29-86BC-423D-9182-83E179FCA4A5-233

• Like 1
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic