Widest tires for stock steel wheels on 1979 810 Wagon

I have a 1979 810 Wagon with the original 14" Steel wheels and worn out 185/70r14 tires on there now. SO, I need a new set and these look a bit skinny to me. How wide a tire can I get on there comfortably with no rubbing? 205? 215? I don't mind it being a bit taller overall and in fact that might be better as I have a steep gravel driveway and want all the tire and clearance I can get. However I do NOT want to jack the car up or lower it, I like the stock ride height and just want to maximize the spacing I've already got with the stock setup. I am looking at some Firestone Winterforces and have never actually bought new tires for a car this size before, so I figured I would tap the knowledge vault here. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I will fatten the set up to 195/70r14. That way when I get a hold of the ZX 6 spokes I want they can swap over to the new rims. I am looking at some Kumho Solus KR21 series tires. Anyone have any opinions on these tires on a Datsun?