L16/L20 in a 520

Kyle253

How difficult would it be to swap over an L16 or L20 into a 67' 520? What all would I need to change or modify to get it to work? The J15 is cool and all but trying to find parts for it is kind of a pain and I'm more familiar with the L16 that I had in my 72' 521.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How difficult depends on your welding skills, and willingness to spend a lot of time finding the RIGHT radiator for the larger engine since the J-series one is really too small for an L-series, but larger 521 ones don't fit.

The engine bay isn't really designed for the larger L-series.  But it's been done.  

I'm guessing I would have to be welding in new motor mounts for the L-series? Sucks, I don't really have a shop to be doing that kind of work in anymore. I guess I'll just have to tough out the J15 and make it work. Just wanted a little more power and easier to find parts. haha

But other than the mounts and finding a radiator everything else should fit? No cutting the fire wall or anything? I might be able to get a friend to help make new mount if I can convince him to help. I've never welded anything that needed to be that strong before so I don't know if I would trust myself with that kind of task.

Well, lots of stuff won't fit- you'll need to replace the throttle cable and there will be issues with the oil pan unless you use a 521-specific one from what I recall.  Rerouting hoses, etc.  It's not a drop in even with new mounts.  Firewall doesn't HAVE To be modified, but you either have to modify the firewall or the core support, as the distance was for the shorter J-series + radiator, and the L-series is longer.  A super-thin radiator MIGHT fit, but also might not provide adequate cooling.  It's still an easier fit than trying this in a 320. 

The only transmission that will fit PROPERLY is a 510 4-speed,  Any 5-speed will require a custom crossmember, and a longtail will require tunnel mods.

I'll have to look into this. I have a friend whos roommate does crazy stuff with old VWs and is a pretty good welder from what I have seen maybe this could be done some day. I could just collect all the parts needed for now and then when the time comes just put the 520 in the garage for a project. I'll most likely just run the 4 speed and get different gears in the rear. It's what I'm having to do right now anyways. The whole 55mph top speed isn't doing it for me.