L28 Triple Weber Questions

M240Z

I just purchased some triple Webers yesterday all complete with linkage and Cannon manifold. The linkage is butter, and the carbs came off of a running 240z (so I was told). I can't really find any good articles about the installation of these so I thought I would ask on here.

I'm wondering if it is pretty straight forward to mount these in place of my old SUs?

Also what parts will I need besides an L28 intake/exhaust gasket, and new mounting hardware since mine are all nasty?

I heard that a lot of people use electronic fuel pumps over the old mechanical stuff. I'm just curious to what you guys may have done to get your triples set up? I want to mount these already!haha Thanks

Matt

IMG_20130323_202811_zps491878ad.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an electronic inline fuel pump on mine that works just fine (remove the stock mechanical fuel pump, and either buy an aftermarket blockoff plate, or scavenge the stock one off a dead L28ET, if you want to go that route).
Pretty much, the setup bolts straight up. No need to modify your head... but the Cannon manifold needs to have an oversize gasket, or you'll get a nasty fuel leak on the back cylinders (but then again, I have always had aftermarket headers... that may or may not apply on a stock exhaust mani). Your old throttle linkage will hook right into that actuator rod, if it's the forked type. Remember to button up your brake boost hose.

HOWEVER... unless you have the old "Made in Italy" Webbers, you WILL NOT have a port for the vac advance on your distributor. I don't recommend simply capping the vac advance off and locking a 10-degree advance like some of the other forums will tell you to do. You need to switch to an electronic advance dizzy, or have your stock unit recurved, and modified for a mechanical advance.

And, no.... before you ask... you can't make a port on the forward carb. And it won't work to tap a port into the mani, because that would cause your vac advance to do the opposite of what it's supposed to do.

I hope this helps. I'm currently looking for a place to get my dizzy recurved. If I find a good one, I'll give you the info.

• Like 1
I've got an electronic inline fuel pump on mine that works just fine (remove the stock mechanical fuel pump, and either buy an aftermarket blockoff plate, or scavenge the stock one off a dead L28ET, if you want to go that route).

Pretty much, the setup bolts straight up. No need to modify your block... but the Cannon manifold needs to have an oversize gasket, or you'll get a nasty fuel leak on the back cylinders (but then again, I have always had aftermarket headers... that may or may not apply on a stock exhaust mani). Your old throttle linkage will hook right into that actuator rod, if it's the forked type. Remember to button up your brake boost hose.

HOWEVER... unless you have the old "Made in Italy" Webbers, you WILL NOT have a port for the vac advance on your distributor. I don't recommend simply capping the vac advance off and locking a 10-degree advance like some of the other forums will tell you to do. You need to switch to an electronic advance dizzy, or have your stock unit recurved, and modified for a mechanical advance.

And, no.... before you ask... you can't make a port on the forward carb. And it won't work to tap a port into the mani, because that would cause your vac advance to do the opposite of what it's supposed to do.

I hope this helps. I'm currently looking for a place to get my dizzy recurved. If I find a good one, I'll give you the info.

Thanks Phearless! These Webers are stamped "Made in Italy," so I'm thinking all I am going to need is an electric fuel pump right? Also where can I get the intake/exhaust gasket I need for the cannon manifold?

I haven't really done anything to an engine besides tune my SU carbs. So Sorry for the newbie questions.haha

Dude, we're all noobs, at some point. I rebuilt my first L6, when I was 12... the old L24 that my car came from the factory with, and now I'm getting my ass kicked by the L28ET I have in it, now. So, even experienced guys have to ask questions. You never stop learning.

There are all sorts of fuel pumps out there. But I can't help you on that one, because I've got an aluminum fuel cell in my Zed, and I'm not sure what to do with an electronic pump on a stock gas tank. If you want to spend the money on that kind of setup (trust me.... worth it), I can tell you exactly how to do it, and even give you dimensions for building the mount (hope you can weld).

As for the gasket... eBay it up, or toss out a Parts WTB ad, in the classifieds. Someone will have what you need. Go double-thick, or use a strong fuel-resistant sealant. You could also modify your exhaust mani so that there's a way to apply needed pressure to the bottom of the Cannon intake. If I sprink another intake leak, I'll probably go that route, and I'll be happy to post a walkthrough for how I did it.

I will, however, add that if you haven't noticed, by now.... Ratsun is full of picwhores. Better have a camera handy, for this.... they will get out the pitchforks and torches if you don't sate their demands for megapixels.

Thanks so much for the help, I just read up on an rx7 fuel pump I think I'm going to order. And yes i've been lurking on Ratsun for a while, so there will be pics once I get installed :thumbup:

I do eventually want to go with a fuel cell so I might contact you in the future for those dimensions. Right now I just want to focus on getting those triples in!

I'd like to see your set up! I am a DIY type though, ever since I was a kid I wanted to build cars, but my dad or other family members aren't really into it so I had no one to show me the ropes. Now I'm just learning as I go with the help of a few friends and Ratsun.haha