80 720 pickup dies after warmed up

Gini

Ive only had it a few weeks, new cap and ignition coil. Ever since I ran it out of gas it dies when fully warmed up. Then wont start for days, then repeat. Had a former mechanic look at it and hes stumped. Please any suggestions, its just sitting here and I cant keep borrowing a car for work.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll assume your valves and timing have been set and it ran without any problems before this.

Take the idle cut solenoid out... watch out there is a spring and some parts that will want to fall out. Find the idle mixture screw and remove, counting the turns so you can replace in the same position. Get a can of carb cleaner with the red plastic straw. Spray carb cleaner in the idle cut hole and the idle mixture hole. Go back and forth a few times. Re instal the idle cut and the mixture screws.

Before starting the motor, listen near the idle cut as a helper turns the ignition on off on off on off. (don't start) You should hear a light clicking sound from the idle cut.

Start and warm the engine. It should idle now but if it wants to be rough turn the idle speed up slightly. Now turn the idle mixture screw in or out and find the fastest smooth idle. Turn idle speed down as much as you can but keep it running. Repeat... idle mixture in until idle quality drops, then out until idle quality drops, pick a spot in the middle where the idle is strong and smooth. Lower the idle speed and repeat until you cannot improve the idle quality and it is idling at 750-850.

Did everything here, also drained the float bowl. First time it started I moved the choke back and forth, it died and wouldnt restart. Sprayed carb cleaner in it and around it some more, it started once again but died after barely touching the gas. Now it wont start at all even though its getting gas.