Ideal instant center for rear independant

We'll after days and nights of reading and reading I still have not came up with a answer to my question. Is there an ideal instant centers for rear Independent suspension? I understand that the Instant centers affects roll centers but after taking measurements I'm confused. on my Miata which handles awesome the IC is around 15 feet away but a s2000 which is also a great handling car the IC is about 6" for the center of the vehicle. Then I found a Ferrari 348 where the IC is right outside the wheels. Why do they all have complete opposites but handle very good?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

K trip - I understand instant centers on straight axles and how to adjust them usually bellow the CoG. And if I understand it correctly the instant centers is where energy is transferred under load. If I'm correct them I don't understand why some cars transfer the weight toward the center of the car and some cars transfer it to 10' away. To me it seems like the wider the IC the more stable but to wide wouldn't transfer any energy to the car but would have lateral side loading which would cause a slide. I've read you want your rear roll center roughly 1-2" about your front RC. Would it be benefitial to have the IC and the same height as the Cog?

Ok so I think I understand. The rear IC ( left to right ) is not that important. There isn't really an ideal. But by changing the IC it effects roll center. Which effect everything. So from what I've read and ideal RC is one that is bellow the CoG but stay at the same height as suspension travels. It will move left to right but you don't want it to move up or down. The lower the RC the more traction under acceleration but also the more roll the vehicle will have. If the RC is at the same height as the CoG the vehicle will not roll but some roll helps traction. So... Roll center is the important part not instant centers on the rear.

I think the anti squat on the Ferrari 348 would look very different that the miata and s2k but I would imagine the distance between the RC and CoG are probably similar. I'm not an expert but it seems with them all being good handling cars they would share some characteristics.