Idling Issues, need some help

BlackCasio

I've got an 81' 4x4 with the Z22 and a 34 36 weber carb. Recently it hasn't been idling unless I make it run rich which jacks the rpm's to 1700 at its lowest point. If I tone it down at all it runs lower and lower then dies. It started happening a few days ago when I got off the highway, I put the clutch it from 4th and it died out. I checked the fuel pump and its working properly, it seemed to have a vacuum leak but I changed every hose in the vacuum system and can't find any more leaks, so I'm stumped. If anyone would be willing to look at it in the Portland metro area, or if anyone has any ideas of what it could be it would be much appreciated! 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you know you have a vacuum leak?  Did you spray carb cleaner around carb area, brake booster hoses, intake?  YOu can also check with vacuum gauge...this is the first to determine because if you have a leak, it will mess up your carb adjustment. 

yes I used carb cleaner and the rpms went up at almost every point I sprayed. I checked the bolts and they seem tight, although the gasket looks a little wet around the edges, maybe new gaskets would help? I changed the distributor and rotor today and that made quite a big difference although it still needs to run around 1500 rpm's to not sound like an old man coughing up a lung. I checked every connection of new hoses and no more leaks from what I can tell although I haven't used a vacuum gauge.