Fuel Cell in stock location...

SSSEXXX

Okay, so now that I have my car back, I have been getting organized and wanted to do a better job of pre-paint preparation.  I also wanted to get a list of  things together that I would like to see done before she goes back to paint and body.  First on that list is to see if I can find a fuel cell that will fit in to the stock fuel tank mounting location. 

Why the request?  I want to drive my car, I want to enjoy her.  But, I want it to be safe.  I have brake upgrades planned, roll bar (still need suggestions), suspension, etc.  The stock mounting location appears to be the safest and I would like to utilize this space with a modern fuel cell for safety.  Anyone have any thoughts?  A search landed me with surprisingly little information.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there wont be a bolt in setup but any good fab shop and built a mount to go between the stock ones and the fuel cell to mount it safely. what suggestions where you looking for on the cage? it says you are in socal. id check these guys out for fabrication work. they know their shit and do a good professional job at a killer price! https://www.facebook.com/JapanAutoEngineering

Thanks for the reply erichwaslike!!  I didn't think there was going to be a direct bolt in, but I was hoping that there may be a size, make and model of a tank that someone has put in to this location.  Summit Racing has so many different shapes and sizes, it just was a little surprising that everyone that I have seen with a fuel cell has it in the trunk or sunken in to the spare tire location.  What I do know is that the Sender Ohms look like this:

Full      10 ohms

3/4       25 ohms

1/2       38 ohms

1/4       57 ohms

Empty  80 ohms

Also, the stock tank is approximately 12 US Gallons or 45.5 Liters.  So I am going to measure the physical dimensions of the tank tonight and see what I come up with.

As for the cage, I am still researching.  At first, I was thinking that I would get something with a 2 or 4 point mounting location.  Bolt in.  I am not going to race this car, I just want to upgrade all the right safety pieces.  But, if the interior is out and I am going to be going ground up restoration, I probably should look in to a more aggressive cage.  The rear seats are pretty much useless with me driving at 6'5" and over 200lbs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...