gasoline in the vacuum advance?

I've got a 1970 521 with dual points.

After a recent breakdown on the freeway, i got the truck running again with new points, condensers, cap, rotor, and wires.  After the tune-up it had a rough idle and was sluggish at low rpm.  If I could get it to a high enough rpm it started to run better.  Today I took the vacuum advance off, and it immediately began to drip fuel.  I was able to squirt most of the fuel out by pushing on the plunger.

While I wait for the rest of the fuel to evaporate, I thought I would post and ask for your thoughts on this.  Will gas in the vacuum line cause the problems I described? Will gas ruin the diaphragm in the vacuum advance?

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try running it with the end of the vac hose plugged up. stick a screw in it and retime the truck and see if that gets you by.

If you still got the stock carb it could be going bad. I dont know why gas would be in the vac adv hose.

Make sure you keep the stock type coil and no fancy big ones. Stock coil with ballasta resisitor is should be able to go awhile.

personally I disconnect the 2nd set up points. The main points is the one with the bigger Condensor.

also the distributor shaft if worn will wiggle causeing the points to prematurely open when you dont want it to making it look like a condensor is bad.

read everything on olddatsuns.com the tech section.

these are simple rigs but you need to maintain them. and its work if your used to a newer vehicle. Meaning road side repair or catching thing before they go totally bad.

I'm pretty sure I put the gas in the vacuum hose.  When it died on the freeway (one of the points broke in half), I assumed it was out of gas, because my fuel gauge is finicky with a failing voltage regulator.  When I put gas in and the truck didn't start, I poured a splash down the carb.  A helpful motorist stopped to help and also poured some gas down the carb, so the reason why there is gas in the vacuum hose is user error.