Right Brake Light not working?

Bugeye

Ok, I've had this issue for a while now, my right brake light doesnt work, replaced bulb, found housing was rusted pretty bad, I replaced the housing with one I found at the junkyard today, it looks almost brand new, I also replaced the left housing and the tail section harness, (mine was hacked for a trailer) the brake light on the right still wont work, all the other lights on that side do, somebody once told me it could be the turn signal switch contacts (since one of the bulbs is shared with the brake light), would this be correct? I really dont want to pay napa a $100 and something bucks for a new one, and my new hated place pick and pull has one in a 1975 that is untouched, should I just go grab the pick and pull one and try it, or is there something else wrong with the damn truck?

Thanks guys, this thing is really starting to annoy me

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, do the turn signals work? If the turn signal on the right rear works but the brake light does not, the problem is the turn signal switch on the column. I had that happen on my '78, and all I did was take the thing apart, clean it, regrease it with dielectric grease and reinstall. Works fine now.

If the lights never work, it's a wiring or socket problem. But since you have 2 brake lights on each side (outside and outer-middle bulb) usually one works if it's a socket problem.

datsunaholic, your a life saver, i'll take that sucker apart in a few, clean it up and see what happens, thanks bro, yeah all the other lights work except the right brake light, thanks again

case closed, thanks again datsunaholic, man those contacts were f-ed up, some 180 grit sand paper, some elec parts cleaner and some dielectric grease really makes a diff. this is why I love this place!