32/36 DGEV Jetting l18

mantas

Mantas good to see you are cool with it. In some ways engine swaps are easier than fuel-ignition troubleshooting.

But changing points is basic stuff. Dont be afraid of it. You could have it running great tomorrow.

To be quite honest with you, i played with the points and now it won't start, so i'm throwing in the towel and i'll let the guy that wants the engine deal with it, i told him the situation and someone offered a complete KA24DE swap from at 240sx for a good price with every single part i need minus clutch slave and battery. I originally wanted to do a KA swap but could not find one and this engine came up out of nowhere. When i set the points today they were dead on but the choke, carb, idle screw were out of whack so i'll deal with that later as its too late for this crap for one night. I gotta say the KA swap will be a pain in the ass in some respects but at least i'll be happy. Ive dealt with nissan 240's for about 4 years now and it makes me much more comfortable to know that i'll be dealing with a familiar engine lol. Except when it comes to timing and wiring but i'll take baby steps. Plus this is the perfect time for me to do that kind of a swap since i have about 2 weeks around Christmas when work is dead and have lots of downtime. I'll report back tomorrow unless that guy picks the engine up before i can take one last ride in it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be quite honest with you, i played with the points and now it won't start,

your in the right spot.

did you even try taking the coil wire placing near ground and see if it sparks while trying to start it??????????if not spark then its right there. Most times the point wire inside is grounded out or you didnt gap the points right.

SIMPLE

persoanlly if you do a KA will never see you again ,Gets installed then never seen on Ratsun till one day its in the for sale section. But better a 620 than a 510

To be quite honest with you, i played with the points and now it won't start,

your in the right spot.

did you even try taking the coil wire placing near ground and see if it sparks while trying to start it??????????if not spark then its right there. Most times the point wire inside is grounded out or you didnt gap the points right.

SIMPLE

persoanlly if you do a KA will never see you again ,Gets installed then never seen on Ratsun till one day its in the for sale section. But better a 620 than a 510

Bonehead move on my part, forgot to mention in the post the last thing i figured out was no spark and gave up completely.

Im going to check the points again but i can totally see what happens to a lot of ka guys. I personally love the truck and wont part with it for quite sometime, besides by the time i dump all the money into the ka swap im not going to roll over and sell it to anyone at a loss. I personally disliked trucks my whole life but when i saw this datsun it was like love at first sight. Haha

Back to the point, im going to the garage for a few mins to see if the wire is grounding out, or should i say back to the points? Haha

whatever your proplem is is right there in the distributor.

Simple.

Moving to a matchbox dizzy would help eliminate this proplem forever if soembody is selling a good working unit.

Quite honestly, this KA deal is too good to pass up, so i'm going to jump on it but if no one buys the L18 i'll get it fixed and drive it at least a few weeks till i'm all set do the swap. Its another sad datsun/nissan hybrid story but i want a peace of mind and my finance says she wants a reliable car not something that she will have to be tinkering with HAHA. Women always win, im sure married guys know that by now....I gotta say you hit the nail on the head for the 100th time (Banzai510), thanks again.

Well i've reached the point of no return, go the CAN/AM box, got the Fuel Pump, and U-Haul to go get the KA saturday morning. And i got a few more people bugging me about the L18, at least it gives me a peace of mind that whoever buys it will know the exact issue should it arise again. Don't worry Banzai, you will have plenty of questions coming your way in no time. GGzilla you are not immune to this either.... :rofl:

Started it up tonight and it runs perfect even without the tune done to it, the carb does not backfire anymore and the idle does not jump around i guess if anyone on here is close and wants to pick this guy up you are free to do so, ratsun price $400 with a spare tranny and clutch has few hundred miles on it. Still needs the proper emulsion tube and a tune.

make sure the guy has the money ans shows up before pulling that motor!!!!!!!!!!

all the guys buggin you 95 % will not show up or maybe even all of them. Believe me!

Oh i know that drill all too well. Usually happens with these craigslist people.