77 280z fuel pump/relay issues

metrickillers

hey guys, i while ago i replaced my fuel pump because it would randomly cut out and would cause my engine to starve for fuel or not fire at all. i replaced it with a walbro 255 and it seemed to run amazing for a few weeks. out of no ware the same problem started again.i wanted to make sure it was the same thing so i checked my fuel pressure and volume and you could see the pressure/volume just rapidly drop then come back to normal . it seems to me that its a electrical problem because the pump is brand new (less than 500 miles). i read somewhere that relays start to go out at around 100k miles (i have 140k miles) and i don't know if the relay has ever been replaced, my question for you guys is , could the relay cause this problem? has anyone run into this.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked the wiring that goes to the fuel pump? It runs under the passenger seat along with the harness that goes to the tail lights. The reason im asking is because the wires for the pump must pass through the body and they seem to get badly damaged at the hole where they pass through. On every single one I have looked at, the jacketing at that spot has been shredded open and the wiring exposed, which could lead to electrical issues as it could shift around and contact the body of the car or the other wires that run through that hole. That could cause seemingly random symptoms.

• 6 months later...