wtb mild cam for l16

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The usa L20B cam is not exactly mild -- it's the same cam put in the L16 SSS twin carb engine. As with any cam, it is milder when put in larger engines.

The stock L16 cam is good for 3000-6000 RPM power band.

To get a a really mild cam, you can custom order one from Delta or Iskenderian or other cam vendor. Tell them you want a 2000-4000 RPM cam. Would work really good with a small-port cylinder head and the smaller 510 carburetor. With a 5-speed you could get 40 mpg.

I just did some cam buying research for my self. You can buy cams from Comp Cams, Isky, Schneider's, shadbolt cams, nismoraceshop.com; Crane used to have some. Some companies will regrind your old cam as well. Just a simple Google search is all I used. A few of the results found in Google were from right here on Ratsun. Read the article posted on the Datsport website to figure out what kind of cam you want: http://www.datsport.com/racer-brown.html

A mild cam would be around 240*-260* Advertised Duration.

The "best" cam depends. What features do you want?

Do you want to rev it past 7,000 RPM regularly? Get a longer duration cam and matching valve springs.

Do you want to floor it from 2500-6000 rpm regularly? The best cam for this is the stock one.

Do you want to get max fuel economy and shift at 4000 RPM? Get a mild cam.

45 webers are just the right size for a 2-liter engine. 40s would be too small for optimum HP -- they'd run nice but not make maximum power.

New 45s will work just fine with the stock cam, but if you got them used, who knows? I'd put the webers on and see how they do. But first check the venturi size, as that's is most important tuning factor. 32 to 34 mm venturies might be best for the stock cam. Or 40 mm venturis if you build the motor out for 6500 RPM max power. For higher RPM than the stock redline, theoretically larger than 45 Webers be advantageous.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.