snapped exhaust bolt in head

munsonj

I was swapping out an engine, and one of the bolts that held the exhaust manifold to the head snapped on me. The engine had good compression when it was taken out and I wan't to be able to use it in my 521. The bolt that snapped was the first bottom bolt that held both the exhaust and intake manifolds. My dad tried to tap out the broken bolt but the bolt extractor snapped instead. Is it possible to use the engine with one bolt missing or will the manifolds then leak. I know that the intake manifold has the water port close to where the snapped bolt is is it possible to use a silicone sealer around the water port so that no water will leak. Is it possible to use the engine still or do I need to take the head off and replace it?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you drilled a hole in the bolt, and put the extractor in the hole and it broke off, can you get the rest of extractor out?

I seriously doubt you can get it all to seal up without that stud, but since the weight of the intake manifold will be helping hold it against the head, and as long as the rest of the bolts/studs are good, you might get away with it, but I expect you will end up with an exhaust leak right away.

BTW, Welcome to Ratsun B)

Thanks, the rest of the extractor snapped flush and he wasn't able to get it. We have a friend that has a mechanic shop so I will probably just send the head to him. Was trying to see if their was a way to avoid taking the head off the block. I was manly worried about the water and gas maybe leaking since that bolt also tightened the bottom of the intake manifold that's why I thought I might be able to help seal it with some silicone.