ZX suspension upgrade

I'm upgrading suspension on my ZX, I have limited budget right now and I just want to get it going nicely.

I already ordered some MSA sway bars, and all bushings front/rear that I'm going to be dropping in when they arrive. I just need the shocks/springs.

I'm thinking of going with the HPK-255 tokico kit but I've herd on a few forums they are pretty shit.(From PPK, so dunno if thats reliable :fu: ) They are only $370 on amazon which makes me think they are a nice cheap upgrade, but then again I don't want to get something I'll just constantly want to replace in the future.

It may end up going in some local drift events in the future.

Should I just wait until I can learn to weld and make coilovers?

I'm also planning to get T3 tension rods when I can afford them, RCA's, ect. Maybe even T3 weld on coil kit.

Any thoughts? Its going to be mostly stock street car, I'm not doing much to it just getting it street-able as a nice spare daily. 4"+ ground clearance for shit roads here.

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, you weren't kidding. Tokicos then! lol. I don't have any personal experience with them, I like the Konis, but they have pretty good reviews on here. If you're keeping it at stock height, I wouldn't pony up for coilovers. You won't do anything with them, and they'd be hidden by your wheels anyway...Spend the money on good shocks instead.

Oh yeah, you weren't kidding. Tokicos then! lol. I don't have any personal experience with them, I like the Konis, but they have pretty good reviews on here. If you're keeping it at stock height, I wouldn't pony up for coilovers. You won't do anything with them, and they'd be hidden by your wheels anyway...Spend the money on good shocks instead.

It's going to be about 2" lower than stock, and I'm hoping to rock some 15x9 rota shakotan with stretched 225/60 tires.

Decide if street or because racecar ,,, than go from there !

I want it around the handling level of a honda S2000, not too stiff but not too soft.b

For now the sway bars and bushings just arrived, that will at least tighten up everything else and make it safe to drive. I'm just worried that the tokico suspension wont be stiff enough. I am probably just going to wait and put in some coilovers.

It's going to be about 2" lower than stock, and I'm hoping to rock some 15x9 rota shakotan with stretched 225/60 tires.

I want it around the handling level of a honda S2000, not too stiff but not too soft.b

For now the sway bars and bushings just arrived, that will at least tighten up everything else and make it safe to drive. I'm just worried that the tokico suspension wont be stiff enough. I am probably just going to wait and put in some coilovers.

I get the sense you will not be happy until you haz coilovers ,,, I respect that :).

I get the sense you will not be happy until you haz coilovers ,,, I respect that :).

Probably... I have coilovers, illumina shocks and 200# springs on my 510 and It needs more stiffer... but the rear is too soft to stiffen up the front. Has flipped and painted leaf, AGX adjustables at highest setting.

So yes, bushes and sway bars for now and coilovers for later. :)

As always, thanks for the replies.

• 5 months later...
Did you ever get the HPK255 for $380? Looks like they are closer to $500 most places....

No I decided to go a different route with the suspension for now.

The HPK255's use to be on amazon for $380, but I just checked and it looks like they don't sell them anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Tokico-HPK255-Suspension-Nissan-280ZX/dp/B006MCIWGO