74 Datsun 620 project

Hello to you all. School is finally over and i now have free time to molest my truck!!... for the better

so this is the current condition, lots of rusted areas and lots of work to do

IMAG0703.jpg

my plans is to convert this into a 4x4 but im just going with the flow right now, whatever i can currently do i will try to do. so the first thing i am focused on is restoring the body, and the hood is my first victim.

here is a video of myself working on my hood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGrO_xkE6QM&list=UUwNpuP64VMW2ZItu8rKT8ug&index=1&feature=plcp

i wanted to make sure i go through everything so i went on to remove the structure from the skin. cutting the crease that holds the hood together was a pain with the tools i had. a cut off tool and a sanding tool/paper that was meant for wood made it a long process. after that i thought it would just be peeling the glue off of the two peices, but it was held together so tightly. i tried using a flat head but ended up bending the edges. eventually i said f it and went on to cut the whole lip off. i figure ill just weld it back on when its time to put it back together. i will begin stripping the paint and prep the metal tomorrow

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i am currently taking these clay like adhesive things off the hood and had pretty much a rough time getting them off

IMAG0876.jpg

i am basically scraping them off with a screw driver. effective, but i kno its hurting the metal. any ideas how to safely take them off for future reference?

IMAG0877.jpg

so after cutting off the bracing, theres still the adhesive along with another layer of metal

IMAG0879.jpg

IMAG0878.jpg

i keep having this feeling that if i dont do anything about it, rust will eventually begin from there. i ended up cutting it. eventually i could weld a new piece back in, lets hope im able to in the future

IMAG0880.jpg

IMAG0881.jpg

IMAG0882.jpg

threw some paint stripper on, worked like magic

IMAG0884.jpg

bare metal under the sun can get really hot. it even caused the paint stripper to fizz

IMAG0885.jpg

decide to work on the hood in my shed

IMAG0886.jpg

couldnt find a brush so i ran to luckys to get this bbq brush

IMAG0887.jpg

rust began to die after the first coat

IMAG0888.jpg

but i realize from this pic i didnt get all the paint/primer off

IMAG0889.jpg

just gonna wait for the first coat to cure and gonna hit it with 80grit tomorrow

im going to eventually take the bed off the frame but theres this ka24 in the way. wondering if anyone is interested?

IMAG0892.jpg

engine and transmission was running when i pulled it out of a 96 240sx about a year ago but it sat in the rain a couple times

IMAG0891.jpg

if anyone is interested for parts or whatever let me kno and take what you want, if not im going to scrap it

IMAG0890.jpg

for those of you who prefer video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCLYvmEtZTE

so after rustmorting the hood i hit it with some etching primer

IMAG0903.jpg

then i focused on wirewheeling the bracing

IMAG0909.jpg

IMAG0910.jpg

IMAG0911.jpg

IMAG0912.jpg

i did the best i can and decide to hit it with some etching

IMAG0913.jpg

eventually i will put the hood back together and finish up on restoring the rest of the hood. slowly but surely