Z 2.2 in a 620 king. Cab

Ok so I'm hoping that with all the knowledge on this forum I can get pointed in the right direction. I have a 1978 620 king cab with no drive trans. I also have a 1980 720 that had full drive trans, but motor most likley has bad bearing. It is the early 80 version of the 720 with a L20b in it.

Questions are will the trans out of the 720 bolt up to a Z 2.2? Also do I need to use different motor mounts? Is the Z motor any good or would I just be better fixing the L20? Are there any things that I must have from the Z motor to make the swap, or are the L and Z motors parts swappable between the 2. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Also what would a Z 2.2 come out of? The guy says it was in a truck with aprox 86000 miles on it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trans from the '80 720 is designed to fit the L20B motor so it's not the best for bolting to a Z22. If going with a Z22 get the matching transmission and the motor mounts.

The Z22 is a good motor with lots more torque than the L20B.

Many parts below the heads are common or swapable between the L20B and the Z22. The heads are the biggest differances.

Carureted Z22 motors were only in the '81'82 720. Fuel injected Z22s were in the '82-'83 S110 (200sx)

Thanks mike. The problem is the guy only has the motor no trans. It is the carborated verson. So I can have a motor that runs with no trans, or a trans with no motor.

Is the Z motor enough of an upgrade for me to pick it up, and then go on a search for a trans?

Also this is going in a 78 620 that had a 6 inch body drop. Is the z motor much taller than a L motor? And the trans for the Z is it any shorter than the one for L motor?

Sry for all the questions just haven't found much info on this from the search.

The Z22 is an ideal truck motor with a good amount of torque for the heavier 720. Should pull the 620 around alright. These motors are not screamers and there isn't much you can do to them to improve the performance compared to the L series.

6" body drop? Do you mean a 6" suspension drop??? No motor is going to clear the hood with 6" missing. The Z22 and the L20B are the same height block. Any difference in height is in the head and valve covers. I don't know off hand which is taller.

The 620 takes a 31/5" long 5 speed. The S110 ('80-'83 200sx) uses a 31.5" 5 speed that bolts to a Z series motor. The '81-'86 720 also has 31.5" 5 speeds but also a shorter 26" one so measure the length first.