Z Cages?

I'm probably about to toss a cage in my car for structural integrity increases, rigidity, safety, and a harness bar. Anyone here do, or know anyone that does cages for Z's or can do one for a reasonable price? Not really worried about race legality or spec or anyting. LMK!

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Autopower bars are a decent price. One question though, are you driving this car on the street all the time? You say for safety, but not really for any race legal stuff. Roll bars on the street can be more dangerous than not having one. You can do as you please, just make sure your research on roll cages for street use and their safety.

It IS a daily driver car, any I'm not going TOO insane with it, but I think I'm gunna have a shop build it. My true goal is to use harnesses on the street mostly because the amount of space I have for my legs it very limited because of the stock seatbelt location.

Ok, I'd still recommend the autopower roll bars. I have a full NHRA spec cage in my Z, full door bars etc. It is limiting for seat selection, so just keep that in mind as well. When I bought it from the previous owner he said it ran him about 1.5k in the Bay Area. Autopower in the back and some front chassis bar I think is the way to go. And tons of padding on all the bars. Just my .02

Oh I want padding for sure. Most of the cage that I'm doing is mostly behind the seats, and I can add the rest later. I'm not going TOO hardcore w/ it just yet. ATM its just a 400HP 2JZ. Interior is 350z Seats, this cage I hope to build, and takata green harnesses :3

$400 - $600 should get you what you want. I paid $1200 for a full legal road race cage. More than 1/2 the materials and labor are in the front half. The hoop, backstays, diagonal and harness bar are the easy part. Be sure that the harness bar is the right height. When seated, the shoulder belts need to be between 0 and 15 degrees down to the bar. Also, make sure the spreader plates under the hoop are large enough.

Here is my cage. It is for LeMons and ChumpCar, but is also SCCA legal. The best pics I have of the cage are mid-paint job, so ignore the nasty interior.

IMG_4359.jpg

Also, what did you mean Spreader plates?

Spreader plates are the 1/8" thick plates under each tube to support the load. Too small and the tubes will punch right through the floor in a roll. Ideally, they should be on the floor as well as the vertical wall of the rocker or floor kick-up and they must be welded all the way around to work properly. You might want to use a bolt-on tower brace so you can remove the crossbar if you want to haul anything large.

• 3 months later...