Z-car fuel sending unit in 510 sedan, need help asap!

I need to know if a Z-car fuel sending unit will FIT in a 510 sedan fuel tank. Like... ASAP!

I don't care about the resistance ratings, as the fuel gauge I am going to be using is universal

But I need to know if the Z-unit will fit in the dime. Mine just flooded my trunk with fuel!! Leaks right out of the pin for the sender to hook up to the gauge.

I know the P/N's are different, but if it'll fit and not leak, and gives a readin that's all I care about!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the one I'm thinking about buying. Still available from Nissan as far as I can tell.

25060-E4100

Early Z-car. Look identical to a 510 unit, but probably has a different resistance range. Like I said that's not really of concern, since the gauge I'm going to be using (Speedhut) is a universal/programmable gauge.

One is up on eBay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/280610282296 )

Once I find out the specifics, I'm going to consolidate everything into one write-up for future reference.

As far as a sending unit goes, I'm only ever going to buy new ones from now on. This is the third one that has done this to me, lol. I think the ethanol mix in today's gas is causing the plastic bushings to corrode/degrade and thus causes leaks. Stuff back then wasn't built for use with ethanol unlike late model cars.

I still have teh 240sx sending unit as well, but I removed it sinec I didn't plan on using it. It'd require a few bit of mods to remove some baffling for teh float to fit. But it's doable.

If no other senders drop right in and no one else has any other ideas, you could always find a way to make something else work.

honestly, if you are using a universal gauge, pick a cheap modern readily available sender from a parts store or nissan, buy it, then go buy a the gastank it fits from a local wrecking yard, cut out a nice square portion of the tank, cut a square out of the top of your old tank, weld it up, and weld up the hole for the factory 510 sending unit.

note: if you decide to Frankenstein gas tanks, please clean the tanks well...I am not liable for any gasoline fires while welding.

There are some really cool capacitance senders out there. Speedhut sells a universal sender that is priced decent enough. Just measure to fit with 1/2" from the bottom of the tank or so, pop a hole and mounting ring up on top and voila - done.

I thought about it... very tempting. But, the cost of the unit, the additional wiring, the down time, and the cost of having somebody modify all this up for me (I don't have any good setup for welding on a gas tank).... it's cheaper for me to just grab the Z sender and make it work with the univeral gauge. No holes to cut, etc.