Vacuum advance, distribuitor or what?

paradoxx

Whats up everyone, I have come to open a new thread because I just went nuts yesterday figuring out what is wrong with my 510.

The thing is that on friday the car started to have farts when accelerating, but when it was idle it was ok or when accelerating soft under 2k rpm the car was good, so I discarded a bad sparkplug and went directly to the vacuum advance.

I checked the vacuum advance and indeed it was not moving, you could stay all day sucking there. So I went to check my spare parts and not a single one was just the same because my dad, some years ago (20) changed the distribuitor and threw away the original from the sss.

So as not having the vacumm, I decided to put an old sss distributor, I cleaned it, regrease it and put the pertronix in and also setted up in timming as the one I removed. Put the engine at 0° and moved the rotor to cyl1. Everything fitted. I put the timming light at cyl 1 and no pulse, I had pulse on the 2nd cyl and I had timming and an irregular timming on the 3rd cyl.

All this after 3 hours of trying and back pain because of the position. I left all there and went to sleep.

Something I noted on the old dist, is that it has some axle nodding and the counterweights springs are not in a good shape, maybe this caused the fucked up timming?

Does the small part of the oil pump shaft tip has to go on the left or to the right?

Any ideas, recomendations?

Edited by paradoxx
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just changed everything, sparkplug wires, sparkplugs, new distribuitor, but left the pertronix. Didnt worked. So I said, the pertronix is bad.....switched to points and didnt started, but since points work with thr ground wire, I was using the ground of the pertronix.....so jumped to the ground of my HID's and the car started properly.

The strange thing is that the ground wire that I had with the pertronix has continuity, maybe not good enough for pertronix to work?

I also need to recheck the timing because is completely out of the marks, but since I had to use it today, just adjusted it with a vacuum monitor.