SR20 - Coolant lines - To cap off or not?

calistile

Hi all - I have a S13 SR20DET Blacktop in my 72 510. I'm using a Freddy manifold. My question is, on the intake manifold side, there are coolant lines that I have capped off. 2 of them are supposed to go to the heater core (1 feed, 1 return). The 3rd line I capped, I think went to the intake manifold on the stock setup.

Is it fine to just leave the 2 lines going to the heater core capped off individually? Or should I buy some line to sort of make U bend, to return coolant? If plugging is ok, are rubber caps with clamps good enough? Or should I consider having the capped off permanently (welded shut)?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not cap anything. Run a U between the heater core tubes, from top to bottom and make sure to hook up your water lead to the turbo.

Here's a pic to look at there... Just loop the top and bottom and keep the turbo little addition.

IMG_2018.jpg

There are still the leads to the IACV and such you need to keep on. Take a pic of the other lead you capped, as I'm pretty sure you want that connected as well.

why dont you just run the heater lines to your heater. If your engine ever gets a little warm you can use your heater as an added heat exchanger. The factory sr20 lines are bigger than your stock datsun lines so you will need to get some dayco brass couplings. Look in here for the information (part numbers) Mind you this is on a 620 but it is still the same concept.

http://www.datsunminitruckin.com/sr20det-into-a-datsun-620_topic1632.html

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned, I'm running the water line to the turbo via the water outlet that I had modded. The turbo is good. I was just wondering about the 2 core lines that went to the heater core. They're are capped off now, but it seems like a good idea to loop them together.