help with carb wiring: blue, blue, yellow wit red, red?

ofg

Wondering if anybody can confirm what wire goes to the electric choke? I think its red according to my haynes manual,, but that book has been crap so far. The pigtail from my stock carb has a blue wire on it??

Other functions of these 4 wires are as follows: fuel cut off solenoid (blue)?

Throttle opener solenoid(yellow with red)?

Vacuum solenoid(blue)?

Auto choke heater(red)?

these according to the haynes manual again.

The only one Im going to use is the choke for right now,,, but i would like to know when and how the others function just in case I decide to go turbo later on, for oil pump,, or boost solenoid,,,, or to add some other gadget.

Yeah,, the entire wiring harness that bundles these wires together was cut and stuffed when I got the car,, soooo, anyway,, is my haynes manual even close?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im using a new weber 32/36 dgev carb,, and it has no idle cut solenoid. It just has a brass screw with the holes in the tip to continue the idle circuit.

I do appreciate the information though. So I can test for that function,, on with engine on,, and off with ignition off,, and isolate that wire as such. I may end up having to get a weber idle cut solenoid anyway,, so Thanks!

You didn't mention the weber before, so I assumed you were just trying to hook up the original.

The idle cut solenoid turns on with the ignition, whereas the choke heater turns on only when the alternator is charging. The other 2 are unnecessary with a weber. I think the throttle opener is for Air Conditioning (bumps the idle up when the AC is on) but it could be for a Automatic Trans. I don't know, I don't have the wiring diagram here. Vacuum solenoid is probably for teh EGR but could be part of a BCDD system. Heck, this stuff could be for the high altitude setup. Not needed with the Weber since it's not designed that way.

Ahh, that clarifies things a bit. I just went out there and hooked up the battery,, turned the ignition switch to "on" and got no power to any of the wires! So, I rigged a jumper from + to the choke,, and she fired right up,, with some cranking to get fuel back up in the system.. Encouraging!

Looks like the carb needs adjusted,, along with my throttle cable. It gets into the secondary too quick,, or possibly low speed mixture is off,, but anyway,, it chokes out if throttle is pressed too quickly. I think its more linkage than anything else..

Ended up using 1 of the blue wires,, as all others are just dead. Choke works as its supposed to. Throttle cable adjusted with more slack at carb linkage,, and now all is great! I dont anticipate having to fudge with any carb settings now. Idle is slightly high to my ears,, but no tach,, sooo, cant really tell for sure. Runs fine as is,, no stalling or anything.. done.