79 620 King Cab Oil Pan

Seeker > 620 KC

Was finally making progress going thru my 620 KC front end parts for a total front end rebuild. Noticed I had an oil leak coming from the low corner of the oil pan on the original l20. Dropped the exhaust, then the pan...Surprise!

Oilpanfrag.jpg

Oilpanfrag2.jpg

Found what I'm guessing to be a piece of the baffle possibly hammered by crank? There were no shavings or parts in the pan and there was zero sludge. I filtered the oil through a fine meshed screen and only found parts of the gasket. Ran the oil through a t-shirt and found no bits or metal shavings. Was thinking I could still use the pan without the small piece. Washed up the pan and was wire wheeling the outside to paint. When I was wiping it down to primer I noticed there is a 2 1/2" crack in the existing baffle where it bends away from the welded edge to the pan. I could have possibly cracked it while cleaning up the outside of the pan, but don't know for sure.

oilpanfrag3.jpg

What are the possible probs if I use the pan on the way it is? Do baffles do something more important than keeping the oil from sloshing around, cause other leaks? I suppose I could look for a pan at the upcoming Eagle Rock swap.

Lastly, after I took the pan off and was cleaning the block surface...there was clear water dripping one slow drip at a time from one of the low corner pan bold holes. It stopped afer a couple hours and never left more than dollar sized coin spot on the driveway. Is there a void somewhere in the block that traps water? I popped the radiator cap and still had green coolant, and the clear water drip didn't stop or increase. What would happen if I blew a slow stream of compressed air up through the bolt hole???

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic