78' 510 need information

I will get pictures up when I get back to portland but the short story is my girlfriend bought a 78 510. Unfortunatly it is an automatic and I didn't think to look at the clutch assembly thinking it would be the same for stick and auto like my 71 510. It does not have the option to add a clutch pedal. Does anyone know if and other clutch assemblies from other years and models would work. If there is an another option than a 78 stick assembly what would be the easiest to find.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick n pull shows a 78 510 in south Portland yard

and an 80 in Tacoma Wa.. yard which is a hell of a long ways from Eugene but ....

We got lucky with the same problem ..my son bought a wrecked car just to use all the crap off it to make his auto into a manual ,, and when he went to install pedal...Well you know. ..And just making a bracket woundn`t be that easy either because return spring is part of pedal not separate and the threaded holes ,,just ain`t there.

Here`s what one looks like if it`s of any help making your own...don`t have any measurements beause it`s now bolted into car..

datsun521027-1.jpg

datsun521026-1.jpg

if memory serves me correctly, in 1978, it was no longer a true 510, but actually a Nissan Stanza. This means that the optional swaps will be somewhat limited. The 1980 510 I pulled some of my parts from was a bit different than my '72 wagon...and the pedal assembly was one of the differences. You will most likely be limited to selecting from 1977 to 1981 models of 510s, because if I remember right in 1981 the Stanza became a FWD compact-midsize hybrid that was later replaced by the Altima...I would assume that they did not keep the same pedal housings.