Question w/r 280zx two different front brake caliper pins

DADZSUN

So I'm in the process of installing a 280zx brake system into my 510. '81 front calipers and the 'newer' '83 rear calipers. Getting a bracket for the rear is a PITA, but that's another story.

I've taken the front '81 calipers apart and cleaned/painted them. I'm about to reinstall and noticed that the sliding pins are different. Two are of the typical solid metal, and two have a plastic type of sheath. The bore on the caliper appears to be the same so I'm unsure of which order they go.

Anybody know what the idea/purpose is to the 2-piece pin and does it go in front or rear of the rotor direction?

Thanks!

Fritz

280ZX_Pins.JPG

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't have names, but the sliding surfaces are the places where the caliper touches the adapter bracket.

It's just like drum brakes. Wherever the metal slides needs a very light coat of grease. I put a dab on then smear it with my thumb. Wipe off the excess. You don't want it getting on the brake pad/shoe material.

I'm guessing the pins, the part where the boot slips onto the caliper. Not sure how the pads and the retaining clips work, they were off when i got them

Going to get my pads and if i can't figure it out, I'll be back. Thanks for the advice on the pins, was holding me up.:cool:

Good info, thanks ggzilla.

Next question, typically the 280zx struts are swapped left <-> right on the 510.

With the caliper mounted behind the strut in an OEM setup, the lower Sub-Pin 'receives' the rotor first followed by the Main-Pin in the top hole. However, when the strut's are reversed as in a 510 install, the caliper is now mounted in front of the strut and the rotor is now first 'received' from the top... Does that mean the Sub-Pin should be in the top hole?

Makes sense what I'm trying to say?

Thanks

Fritz