Mechanical Temp. Gauge

jackassllc

I am on my way to getting my 320 going, got the engine started, then found another truck with a nicer body but no engine, so I removed the working engine and I am now putting into a nicer body. So I have started replacing all the lines that the rats have eaten since the truck last ran in the 80's. I came across my temp. gauge, that is I guess its my temp. gauge, it screws into the side of the block and is made up of a very small copper tube, I mean very small, took me a while to realize it wasn't solid copper. Anyway, I am having no luck finding a replacement, anyone have any ideas. My buddy at my local auto parts store says he thought it could be rebuilt, but I am at a loss who could do this. He also told me it came as a full unit with the gauge already attached to the line? I have no idea?!?! Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Tom

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mechanical temperature gauges come as a complete unit, from gauge to temperature bulb, using a bourdoun tube. They can't be disassembled and still work because they use pressurized liquid/gas inside the bulb/tube/gauge assembly as a sealed unit (usually alcohol vapor, but some use freon or ether). If the line has been cut it's now useless, and you need to buy an entire gauge assembly.