Gotta brag a little

So, it's pretty late to be posting this, but I've gotta brag a little.

So, I'm on a Formula SAE team, and this last June, right before our competition, our team got a special treat. A member's dad knew Pete Brock, and told him what we were up to. He wanted to check out our program. So he came up one Friday (?) and talked to the team, looked at our car, our school's Baja SAE team's car, and shared stories from his years of racing with Carroll, racing Datsuns, and all the other things he has done over the years. It was a really cool experience; they say you should never meet your heroes. If Pete Brock is your hero, ignore this piece of advice, he is everything you think he is, he's a very kind person, and insanely knowledgeable about motorsport, and automotive technology in every field.

Here's me talking to Pete Brock (and making a stupid face) in front of the race car we were building.

PeteBrock.jpg

Also, here's me driving that car a couple weeks later at competition:

Enduro.jpg

If you want to check out what our team's been up to:

http://wwufsae.com/news.html

^There are some cool pictures from our competition in there, but unless you like race cars it's probably boring. :P

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I totally know how you feel! I have also had the pleasure of time with pete! Wish I was on a PC and not a CrackBerry, there's a thread on here somewhere.

You couldn't be more right about Pete asnd Gail, they are the coolest!

Congrats!

I've worked at the SAE event at fontana for quite a few years. (TIMING) It's really cool to see what the kids do with these cars. Even if they are last you would think they won the Indy 500. If they finish the weekend and the car is in one piece it's a win for the team. Good luck to you and your team.

Oh and Pete Brock is a pretty down to earth guy. I talked with him at a car show a couple weeks ago.

just a touch off subject. i skimmed your link (just look at pics) that car is pretty short... looks like your legs stick out there in the nose cone. dont hit the wall head onblink.gif

Legs don't quite stick into the nose cone, but they stick out past the front wheels, so it's definitely a consideration. The car is designed with a 25mph (?) frontal collision in mind, but pretty anything much faster would probably wreck the chassis, and your legs. There is a crush structure hidden under the nose cone, but like I said, anything over 25 would be too much.

I've worked at the SAE event at fontana for quite a few years. (TIMING) It's really cool to see what the kids do with these cars. Even if they are last you would think they won the Indy 500. If they finish the weekend and the car is in one piece it's a win for the team. Good luck to you and your team.

Oh and Pete Brock is a pretty down to earth guy. I talked with him at a car show a couple weeks ago.

Cool, never thought about crossing pathes with Ratsuners there. Sadly, our car had a clevis fail on lap 12 of the endurance which dropped us from a solid top ten finish (maybe top 5) to 27th.