2k Idle

Jewosh

So my idle is around 1500-2000 RPM when at a stop once the temperature gauge is off the bottom peg (at 130F). Now I know there is another posting having to do with idle problems, but my situation is a little different. One day it suddenly started idling around 1500 and ever since then, it hasn't gone back down. So far, I've adjusted the idle control screw on the carb (Weber 32/36) and backed it all the way out, with no effect on the high idle EXCEPT for when cold, the car refuses to idle at all, and dies if the RPM's get below 1000. The carb is also set to run very lean, as if the screw it backed out any further, I can smell the unburned gas quite strongly. I'm running 10w-30 oil currently and have a small leak in the front of the engine (haven't found the exact location yet) but the fan manages to spray it all over the engine bay and some of it is on the air filter of the carb. I doubt it really has anything to do with the idle, but is there a slight chance it could be affecting it? Last, for those who it might help, the specs that I currently know on my engine is that its a NAPS-Z block, KA pistons, and an L16 head all bored to 2.3. I'm not sure exactly what head it is, but I do know that it seems to run pretty high compression and that the current carb is choking the motor especially at high RPMs. I only use 76's Premium fuel when I fill up (they have the only nozzle that fits blink.gif) Any suggestions on what could be causing this? I plan to get a new carb when I have the money (hopefully duals) but money is tight right now, so I need this one to last as long as possible. Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a classic vacuum leak. Idles above 1500, dies below 1000. Check the adapter plates, the thin ones are crack-prone and the multi-plate ones have a tendency to have the screws back out.

Alright, I'll check that tonight as soon as I can! Thanks.