Won't Start after Head Gasket Replacement -HELP!

Naboobo2000

Ok, After I replaced my Head Gasket and Timing Chain the beast will not start. I need some advice.

Cylinder 1 at TDC.

Pully mark at 0.

All hoses are tight.

I was getting the occasional blow back through the carb, but now it won't even do that. It seems like a timing issue right? Opened carb and its very close to #1. Im at a loss or Im just dumm. Any advice please.

Thank you.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-check the plug wires and make sure that its at TDC and not on the Exhaust stroke!

Your rotor should be pointed in the direction of the location of the #1 plug wire...

Yes #1 is at TDC and not the Exhast stroke. Check.

Carb rotor is just before (to the left moving couter clockwise) #1 wire plug.

Got this bad boy running and sounding very good. It turns out the rotor for the dis cap was loose and free spinning. By me just looking at it seemed it was fine. I moved it with my hand and wammo (Im a dork) it clicks into place 180 out of time.

BUT.

It seemed to be steaming from the manafolds directly under the air filter. THEN

POW, my radiator blew up. On a good note. The motor sounds great! :D . Radiator in the shop in the am...

If the head is cracked, or the gasket is bad... the compression from the engine will fill the coolant system and blow things up! Make sure to not out the radiator cap on when you run it next time, if it sprays coolant out the radiator... you have a problem!

Good luck and keep me posted!