Props to the G Pop Shop!

I have been battling a smokey turbo problem in my ca18det b210 for the past months. I checked everything that could have possibly been causing my turbo to smoke a little bit. I know, turbo cars will always smoke a little bit. I wanted my car to not smoke at all. Out here in cali, if your shit smoke a little its a reason to pull your ass over.

Here's how the problem started. about a year and two months ago, i had my stock turbo t25 rebuilt by the g pop shop. The car would leave a large plume of blue smoke at idle sometimes so i rebuilt the turbo and the smoking problem was gone. as time and car use went by, i noticed that the car would smoke a little bit every once and a while. i said ok, no big deal. It wasnt until recently that it started to smoke more frequently at idle and after you dropped the hammer hard. I checked everything and it looked good. I then decided to take the turbo out and look at it. I did not suspect the turbo becuase it was freshly rebuilt about a year ago, so i said there's no way it could be that. I remove the turbo and i see a bunch of gunk oil sludge in there (hot side). At this point i was really bummed because i spent 400 bucks to rebuild the turbo a year ago and now i thought i would have to do it again.

The warranty on the turbo was for one year. It was exactly a year and one month. I called the guys at the g pop shop and told them the whole story. Jim from g pop shop tells me to just send it so they can see what was really wrong with the turbo. at this point i was already going to shell out another 400 to rebuild it. The turbo gets to jim and they inspect it and they tell me that they took the whole thing a part and that theres nothing wrong with the turbo. They also give a list of stuff to check. At this point i thought well, i going to owe them the tear down and shipping back to me, 75 plus about 20 bucks. They waive the fee and shipping! i was like hell yah. but i still had to check what was causing the smoke.

They told me to check three things, but they suspected from the inspection of the turbo that the oil was not draining fast enough or that i had too much oil pressure, or bad pcv valve. the pvc valve was 2 bucks so that was replaced anyway. i check the oil drain and bam i discover that it is not -10 all the way thru. Since i moved the turbo up four inches from the stock location, i also moved the drain. It turns out the the drain, where the tube connects to the oil pan, was not clearaned all the way, it necks down to about 3/8 hole.

i switch to the old turbo drain and bam problem is gone. no smoke at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, if any of you ever decide to do business with the g pop shop, let me tell you, these dudes took really good care of me.

sorry for long post. i hate long posts.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic