Idler Arm Removal

kid510

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Shit... Yeah that's what it is. It's called a fucking pickle fork!!! Or you can use a small tie rod separator. I've even used a 3 jaw puller. It's so easy a girl can do it. Literally. Oh and that rubber piece. It's designed to keep grease in and contaminants out. I'd try to save it

The rubber piece is toast. I got the idler arm the front of the car, however it is still stuck to the drag link. I used a pickle fork on the tie rod it's connected to, no luck. How do you get the damned bushing out?? I've been chewing away at the rubber for like an hour, it's not budging. Any help??

A good solid hit with a bfh would knock it loose from the center link. I don't understand what you are trying to say. You want to remove the idler arm from the centerlink? Are you trying to replace the idler arm bushing? If so you need to burn it our with a torch or have access to a press.

Phil, I am trying to replace the bushing. Will I need the press to get it back on? I'm guessing I don't need to do any more removal than I already have to get the bushing R&R. I almost have the whole thing out just from drilling rubber bushing out. I have a new set I'm going to put back in.

• 2 weeks later...

If you just need to replace the idler arm bushings it is very simple the time I've done it.

Open the hood and with a long extension (I have a 2ft breaker bar that can also serve as an extension) take the top nut off, push the idler arm down, replace the bushings($8 or #10), push the idler arm up, install nut and tighten. Like a 20 minute job.