81 510 Wagon pedal assembly?

I just picked up a running driving 81 510 wagon for the princely sum of $0.00. I went to look at it and he said if i do some welding on his 81 Corolla wagon I can have it. Sweet...done deal.

Unfortunately, this Z20 powered beast is autotragic and I don't have a lot of experience with this vintage of 510.

I would like to convert it to manual, but is this like a PL510 where I can just change the brake pedal and add a clutch pedal or do I need the whole pedal box?

Anyone out there know much about these beasts?

Brock

http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/500/P27-04-11_18-49.jpg

http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/500/P27-04-11_18-49_1_.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

heh, I had a 80 manual wagon and its drivetrain and pedals found their way into my 72 wagon before scrapping the rest of the car. This much I can tell you, the 80 has some interchangeable parts with the more common 70s 510s, but it is really a entirely new car..the nissan a10 platform...with a 510 label.

The pedal housing is different from the older 510's, and since I have never seen an auto, I am not sure. If it is like the older 510s, then they would use the same metal frame to hold both types of pedal setups, manual and auto...but even if that is the case, you will still need the clutch and gas pedal, or you will have to get creative like I did, and build your own pedals to fit the pedal and steering column support housing your datsun/nissan has.

The place to check first is to see if your wagon has the extra slot on the left for another pedal, if it does, you will need to buy a master cylinder for the clutch, and build or fabricate a clutch and brake pedal.

I would do some research or look around junkyards to see if the 77-81 510/stanza/a10 used the same pedals, if so you may find what you need!