my dime in the works

So I figured I should post up some pics of my progression so nobody thinks I half assed things.My 510 had very minimal rust.Cancer in the rear quarter panels and a tiny bit at the gas pedal.It went from bb size to pea size really quick while driving it in the rain so I got in there with a wire wheel and some por 15 to put it to a halt.I have to cut out the section on the floor and clean out all the rust and dirt that fell into the body pan channel and weld on a new piece.My pedal got cracked up a bit taking it out since the screws were rusted in place but thats a small sacrifice to prevent further cancer.

I dont have any before pics of the cancer on the passenger side rear cancer but it was pretty bad.About 4 inches of dirt stuffed in there so I cleaned her out and welded on a new chunk of metal.Very difficult to weld on the stock panel since it is paper thin and pocked with rust but I figured it out.

Tons of weld was added which required tons of grinding.My arm is sore.this shows me where I need to hit it with the welder on a few small holes.Better to have a thin layer of body filler on top of solid metal than glass up a big hole.

2008_0125Image0032.jpg

2008_0125Image0031.jpg

2008_0125Image0030.jpg

2008_0125Image0029.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its still as pictured on the drivers side.I think I can zip up those holes rather than cut in a new panel.I havnt used the radiator yet since it has no tranny ports.I have an aux cooler but want to be sure I dial it in right first and the f'ed up one in there is holding nicely during the cold season.I am considering a lz24 project but if not I at least have a L20b but I kinda want that in my 521.So long as it runs for now I can do the body stuff and have that out of the way later.