Wheels and Tire Question

I just spent the last hour and some change banging my head against the search button, but it's not really giving me the answer I need, so I'm going to ask all you pros out there.

Right now my 4-door 510 has 13" Libres. While I love them, they will not work with the 280zx brakes and T3 coilovers I'm installing in the next couple weeks. I've been looking at a few different 15" options local to me, and I just had a couple questions before I drop the big bucks and make a decision. Also, my fenders are unrolled and stock, and I have no interest in slamming the car to the ground. That being said, I do enjoy proper fitment, so it is of primary concern to me.

I have the opportunity to pick up some pretty beautiful SSR reverse mesh wheels in 15x8 +1 offset. Ideally, I'd be purchasing a 15x7, but the price is good enough that it nearly has me convinced to go with an 8. Will these fit my vehicle? I am willing to roll the fenders if need be. Will I need to use negative camber in the front/rear to get it to sit right? Is that possible in the rear, or will I need to do slotting/notching? The front will have adjustable TC rods and camber plates, so that's less of a concern. Again, my dime is a 4-door, if that makes any difference.

Additionally, what tire size is the best option for me for daily street use, assuming that these rims will work. Again, I don't need ridiculously low profile or stretched tires, just a size that will work and last as long as possible.

If I'm being a total neophyte, please forgive me. I'm just looking for some guidance so I can drop these brakes and coilovers in with minimal suffering, and keep my options open in the future for a big brake kit front/rear.

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahah. I haaad to jinx it. True to California style, those wheels were beater, at best.

I'm looking at a set that are 15x7 +10 in the front and 15x8 +11 in the rear now. I think those will fit if my understanding of offset is accurate. Can anyone confirm this or tell me I'm an idiot and totally off base?

I ran Hayashi Perrier Mesh 15x7 +4 with 280zx struts and 280zx front brake setup. Those fit nice and flush in the front with 195/50/15's. However, when I upgraded to the front Wilwood set-up, I had to run the 300zx hubs, which brought the tracking out about 1/2 inch, which resulted in my front tires sticking outside the fender. You should have no problems as long as you keep the front 280zx brake set-up.

The rears will fit with no problem.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll be sticking with the 280zx brakes for the foreseeable future, though I may drop a big brake kit in there at some point. What required you to switch to 300zx hubs?

So even with the +10/+11 for the front/rear, respectively, I won't have any issues with clearance at the strut or rear suspension?

• 4 weeks later...

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll be sticking with the 280zx brakes for the foreseeable future, though I may drop a big brake kit in there at some point. What required you to switch to 300zx hubs?

So even with the +10/+11 for the front/rear, respectively, I won't have any issues with clearance at the strut or rear suspension?

lmk i have some 195-4515 ssr meshies would look sick...............