Sudden, massive vacuum leak on Hitachi

510Finn

On my stock '72 Wagon, was driving it, then I heard a pop sound almost like a tire stem breaking off, and hissing, then the car won't idle and will only drive

when there's excessive gas being pumped in by the accelerator. Since it was at night, I had to tow the car home.

So now i'm finally looking at this thing and couldn't find the problem, but I suspected a massive vacuum leak, because I hear it hissing loudly and the car won't idle. So I took the Hitachi carb off, then looking at the side near the vacuum secondary I notice this huge hole. You can see down into the carb from this hole.

Is there supposed to be a plug or cap here? Did it pop a cap?

Does anyone know what I can use to plug this? Brass plug? small aluminum cap?

DSCF0945.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you don't have to worry about smogging, replace that Hitachi with a Weber. It look like you blew out a vacuum tube. The hose should be laying in the area. A newly rebuilt Hitachi for 1972 might be available, but then you would still have a 40 year old Hitachi. Probably better to get a newly born carb. Just saying ;) !