FS RARE 1968 510 2 DOOR PROJECT CAR Michigan

FOR SALE - RARE very early production 1968 DATSUN 510 2 door Sedan - This is a VERY RARE EARLY 1968 2 DOOR! Has the 1968 only siamesed windsheild wipers, 1968 only dash, and the 1968 only small tail lamps. As you all know, most of the 1968 production cars were 4 doors & Wagons............very few 2 doors were made. This car is mostly disassembled, but is a rolling shell with suspension + lots of parts. This car is a very solid car recently brought out of Colorado, currently located in Southwestern Michigan. Has some typical 510 rust, but not rotted away like a typical Midwestern car. Needs some small patchwork on the very front edges of the front floor pans, outer rear rocker panels, plus a few more problem spots. This car has NEVER BEEN HIT, but has some light hail damage to the roof and trunk lid. The 1968 model year ONLY rear tail lamp panel is in excellent condition! I have most of the rare 1968 only parts to go with it, but the car itself is not quite complete, as it was disassembled by someone else. It has mostly original paint (white color). Comes with a very nice set of BLACK interior panels, dash is mostly complete but the dash pad is shot. I have the original RED rear seat back & bottom, but I do NOT have the original front seats. Comes with a stock L16 engine, needs rebuild, and stock 4 speed transmission, BOTH NOT IN CAR.

I haven't done a complete inventory of the parts yet, but will get to that this week. I know that I do have...........

*grille + headlamp bezels - very nice

*tail lights - have both, but will need to look closer at condition

*1969 metal vents which I believe are the same

*no bumpers at this time, I do NOT have the 1968 rear bumper

*wiper motor + linkage - have both, I believe to be complete

*wiper cowl panel with washer squirts - very nice

*wiper arms - unknown if I have at this time

*dash assembly - out of car, looks mostly complete, but the dash pad is shot

*rear seat back - good condition, but I've never seen a 1968 car, so I don't know if the upholstry pattern is correct. Color is RED.

*rear seat bottom - good condition with one 2in tear on top surface, but I've never seen a 1968 car, so I don't know if the upholstry pattern is correct. Color is RED. No front seats.

*interior panels RED - original color was red, only the RIGHT REAR red panel is good, other three the red vinyl panels are junk

*interior panels BLACK - I have a nice set of uncut black panels out of a 1969-1971, I think the 1968 was the same.

*glass - have ALL pieces of glass (all out of car)

*front windshield glass - looks good, very minor road rash, but no cracks, no stars

*rear 1/4 windows - good

*window regulators - good (out of car)

*all hood, trunk & door latches (still on car)

*hood - good with small dent at front

*doors - excellent

*trunk lid - good with some light hail damage

*front fenders - I DO NOT HAVE, I will throw in a pair of stock fiberglass fenders (sitting on car in pics), but they are not good quality

*all floors are good & solid, never been patched, front floors have a little rust thru at the forward edge where it meets the toe board/firewall

*Battery tray removed & gone

*seat cross members & transmission mounting plates removed but come with car

*rolling shell, so it appears that all of stock suspension is there

Again, although I am a 510 enthusiast, this car was purchased disassembled, as a rolling shell, with parts in boxes, so I am selling it as a PROJECT car missing parts. I was told that it was stripped down to put in a big V8 engine, but thankfully they stopped just before cutting into it. There is a pencil line drawn on the inside of the firewall, but again, NO CUTTING WAS DONE! The above mentioned pieces were properly removed by drilling out the spot welds, so they can be welded back in quite easily.

I consider this a relatively solid car, NOT a midwestern car, as it came out of Colorado in July. I do have a COLORADO title for the car, NOT in my name, matches the VIN # on the firewall, but I do not think that I have any other VIN TAGS with the car (will continue to search boxes). I do not see a place in the left door jamb OR on the dash top where a VIN tag would be on the 1969-1973 cars, so I am guessing that the 1968 model only had the VIN tag on the left inner strut tower (but again, no tag at this time). The title states that it is a 1969 model, BUT PLEASE RESEARCH THIS.............many of the 1968 cars were actually sold late in 1968 or even early 1969, so they were titled as a 1969. THIS IS A 1968 MODEL WITH A MATCHING VIN #. I believe that most states will allow the correction to 1968, with proof of production. There has been talk here on the510realm of this VIN vs model year issue.

Best scenario is for a buyer to have a 1968 4 DOOR as a parts/donar car to build this 2 door.

I also have LOTS of other spare parts available! I also have a 1969 2 door, and a 1972 Wagon available.

$1800.00 as is. THIS IS A RARE CAR, VERY HARD TO FIND A 1968 2 DOOR!! Car is located in Holland Michigan, zip 49423.

PICTURES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST OR SEE http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15633

Contact TJ at 269-598-5836 EASTERN STANDARD TIME<BR clear=all>

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have added LOTS of additional pictures & details on this car, to the thread on the510realm http://www.the510rea...hp?f=10&t=15633.

Sorry, I've never set up a photobucket or picture hosting deal, which is required here. All I can suggest is following the link above. Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.