air brushing

hey guys, my gf wants to start painting cars for fun. i do quite a bit of work on cars, and paint a few, but she wants to learn too, and i want to get a new set of guns, which i think i have sorted out, but most importantly she wants to air brush. i want to get her a quality gun for x mas. what should i look for?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Negative. She's gonna want a gravity feed once she figures out siphon feeds are junk. Cleaning out bottles is a pain and takes alot more paint. You can produce better results with a few drops in a gravity feed, and cleanup is a breeze. Olympos makes a good brush, I've owned one since jr high and still works great. Make sure you can get brand specific replacement parts like tips, needles, etc. You'll look to spend around $200 for a decent one

ok so i cant really find any thing on that brand? there are some ppl saying they are out of biz.? got any good links? looking for like a full starters kit with the the compressor and a gun and maybe a couple needles and tips and some paint? not looking to get her anything shitty, but it does have to be fairly user friendly

i have a bunch of friends that love iwata brand, but there not into air brushing so there not sure how that live of stuff is. im sure its great just like the larger guns tho! that is exactly what im looking for! and its a good price too if its any good! i know i said 500 was my budget, but that was just a rough idea guys

Guest DatsuNoob

I think olympos got bought out. Iwata makes quality products though. Most will recommend you use acrylic water based paints since they clean up easier and dont need harsh solvents that break down seals, o-rings, etc inside your airbrush. I really like Golden brand paints. They're a little spency compared to craft store paints and you have to go to an art supply shop to get them, but the colors are more rich and dont require thinning like the all purpose craft store paint. You can buy them in a starter pack of like 12 I think, all different colors. Do you have any good art supply shops in your area? Some carry airbrushes in stock, just be sure to buy a gravity feed and spend atleast $200 and you should wind up with a good brush. As for a compressor, these things run off 15 or so p.s.i if I remember correctly. I've seen compact compressors at Harbor Freight perfect for such an application for pretty cheap, around $50 or so.

Guest DatsuNoob

I think that's the brush I have actually. Maybe Iwata bought out Olympos because that's an HP-C, Mine is an Olympos model HP100-c and looks exactly the same. It's a good brush. Gravity feed, dual action toggle (down for air, pull back for paint), and all the stuff included, I'd say that looks like a hell of a deal to me. I say jump on it.